Tactical Defense Shooting - Texas Concealed Hangun License (CHL)
Students provide their own ammo.
4 to 6 hr class - $75 per person | 50 rnds
Serving Greater Houston, Texas and the surrounding area, the Texas Concealed Handgun
course is a one-stop class with the classroom session and the firearm proficiency
demonstration being conducted on the same day.
Our classes are informal, informative, and carried out in a friendly and comfortable
setting. Students should be familiar with their selected firearm, and know safe
handling and safe practices.
Classes include hands-on demonstrations, and interactive discussions. Students are
encouraged to participate in the class discussions.
EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2013 Students applying for renewal of a CHL are no longer required
to complete a training course.
CHL holders wanting to renew should go to: Texas DPS CHL
and click the Login button at the bottom of the page.
You cannot renew until you are within six months of the expiration date on your Concealed
bring your own firearm and ammunition.
This class covers the following topics:
- Safe Handling / Safe Storage
- Basic Marksmanship Review (grip, sight alignment, respiratory control, trigger control)
- Non-violent Conflict Resolution
- Range Qualification
- Use of Force / Deadly Force
- Concealed Handgun License Requirements & Restrictions
- Public Contact with Law Enforcement
- Handgun Use and Evaluation
- Holsters / Concealment
- Final Exam and Certification
- Must be a legal resident of Texas, or apply for a non-resident license
- Must be at least 21-years old – Exception: active duty military or honorable discharge,
then age 18 or older
- Must not have been convicted of a felony
- Must not be currently charged with a Class A or Class B misdemeanor, a felony or
a disorderly conduct offense
- Must not be a fugitive from justice
- Must not be chemically dependent (including alcohol)
- Must be capable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and
storage of a handgun
- Must not have been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or a disorderly
conduct charge in the past five years
- Must be fully qualified under federal and state laws to purchase a handgun
- Must not be delinquent in any tax payments to the State of Texas (any agencies or
subdivisions), including child support and / or property and sales taxes
- Must not be restricted by a protective or restraining order involving a person
- Must not have been prosecuted for a felony grade juvenile delinquent conduct in
the previous ten years
- Must not have made any material misrepresentations, or failed to disclose any material
fact on the CHL application
What to Bring
- A functional and practical handgun chambered in .32 cal, .38 spl, .380 ACP, 9mm,
.40 cal, or .45 ACP. If possible, bring a spare weapon system.
- 50 rnds of brass-cased FMJ ammunition of the appropriate caliber
- Note pad, and pen / pencil
- Comforatable Clothing suited to extended classroom hours and range qualification
- Closed-toe foot wear (no flip flops)
- Rain gear / cold weather gear (as appropriate)
- Hearing protection (electronic preferred)
- Eye protection, which wraps around
- Baseball style hat recommended
- Weapons lube